Smoke and Carbon Monoxide safety

The requirements for smoke and co detectors have been changing and yes you may only need to really have your property inspected when you buy/sell or if you have section 8 or a housing inspection, but if you know the rules and make it part of a routine( i.e change your batteries whenever you have to set the clocks forward/back) or better yet make it a hard wired system so you don’t have to worry about it. If you have not changed your smoke detectors in a while you most likely only have ionization type alarms, nowadays municipalities want photoelectric within a certain distance of a kitchen or bathroom.

The difference between photoelectric and ionic:
Ionization smoke alarms are generally more responsive to flaming fires.
How they work: Ionization-type smoke alarms have a small amount of radioactive material between two electrically charged plates, which ionizes the air and causes current to flow between the plates. When smoke enters the chamber, it disrupts the flow of ions, thus reducing the flow of current and activating the alarm
Photoelectric smoke alarms are generally more responsive to fires that begin with a long period of smoldering (called “smoldering fires”).
How they work: Photoelectric-type alarms aim a light source into a sensing chamber at an angle away from the sensor. Smoke enters the chamber, reflecting light onto the light sensor; triggering the alarm.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *